Reading at Clyst St Mary
A reader from Clyst St Mary Primary school will:
- Be able to read with confidence, skill and understanding.
- Read for pleasure and have a lifelong love of reading.
- Discuss the things they enjoy in the books they read and recommend books and authors to their peers.
- Know about a wide range of authors and genres.
- Be able to apply the things they have learnt in phonics to help them read and decode unfamiliar words.
- Enjoy reading and understanding the meaning of new words.
- Be exposed to high quality books, from a variety of cultures and in a range of different styles and formats.
- Apply their reading skills in both their writing and their understanding of the wider curriculum.
- By the end of Year 6 all children will be reading at age related expectations or above.
- By the end of Year 2 all children will have completed the RWI phonics programme and will be at age related or above expectations according to the national curriculum.